10 French sayings about war
War has been a part of human history for centuries, and the French have developed a unique perspective on the subject through their language and expressions. Here are 10 French sayings about war that offer insights into the French view of conflict and violence:
- “La guerre est déclarée” – War is declared This saying announces the start of a conflict and is used to alert others that hostilities have begun.
- “La guerre, c’est la guerre” – War is war This saying is a simple, straightforward way of saying that war is a violent and destructive force that should be avoided whenever possible.
- “La guerre ne choisit pas ses victimes” – War does not choose its victims This saying emphasizes that war affects everyone, regardless of age, gender, or social status.
- “La guerre, c’est la paix brisée” – War is broken peace This saying suggests that war is a result of the failure of peaceful negotiation and diplomacy.
- “L’histoire est écrite par les vainqueurs” – History is written by the winners This saying highlights the role of propaganda and bias in shaping our understanding of historical events.
- “La guerre n’a pas de fin heureuse” – War has no happy ending This saying stresses that war is a destructive force that ultimately leaves everyone worse off than they were before.
- “L’enfer, c’est les autres” – Hell is the others This saying, famously quoted from Jean-Paul Sartre’s “Huis Clos,” suggests that human conflict is often driven by our interactions with others.
- “La guerre, c’est la mort de la raison” – War is the death of reason This saying highlights the destructive effects of war on our ability to think and reason clearly.
- “La guerre n’a pas de héros” – War has no heroes This saying suggests that war is not a romantic or heroic endeavor, but rather a brutal and senseless waste of life.
- “La guerre est la pire des choses” – War is the worst of things This saying succinctly conveys the destructive and devastating effects of war, both on individuals and society as a whole.
These French sayings about war offer a unique perspective on the subject and provide insight into the French view of conflict and violence. By considering these expressions, we can gain a deeper understanding of the impact of war on individuals and society, and strive to find peaceful solutions to conflict.