Intermediate French Vocabulary: Real Estate
Bonjour chers lecteurs! If you’ve found your way to this post, it’s possible you’re not just looking to order a coffee or ask for directions in French.
Perhaps you’re considering a more permanent establishment in a Francophone country, or you’re just curious about real estate terminology in French.
Regardless, bienvenue to the world of French real estate vocabulary!
Real estate plays a crucial role in our lives, whether we’re buying, selling, or renting a space.
To navigate this domain in a French-speaking environment, you need to be equipped with the right terms. Here we go!
Basic Real Estate Terms:
- Immobilier (Ee-moh-beel-yay) – Real Estate.
- Agent immobilier (Ah-zhawn ee-moh-beel-yay) – Real estate agent.
- Agence immobilière (Ah-zhawns ee-moh-beel-yair) – Real estate agency.
- Maison (May-zon) – House.
- Appartement (Ah-par-teh-mawn) – Apartment.
Buying and Selling:
- À vendre (A vahn-druh) – For sale.
- Acheter (Ah-sheh-tay) – To buy.
- Vendre (Vahn-druh) – To sell.
- Propriétaire (Pro-pree-ay-tair) – Owner.
- Prix (Pree) – Price.
- Offre (Of-fur) – Offer.
- Négocier (Nay-goh-syay) – Negotiate.
- À louer (A loo-ay) – For rent.
- Louer (Loo-ay) – To rent.
- Bail (Bye) – Lease.
- Locataire (Lo-kah-tair) – Tenant.
- Loyer (Lwa-yay) – Rent (noun, as in the cost).
Types of Houses and Buildings:
- Studio (Stoo-dee-oh) – Studio apartment.
- Duplex (Due-pleks) – Duplex.
- Villa (Vee-la) – Villa.
- Immeuble (Ee-muhb-luh) – Building, typically an apartment building.
- Chalet (Shah-lay) – Chalet, often in mountainous regions.
Features and Facilities:
- Jardin (Zhar-dan) – Garden.
- Terrasse (Teh-ras) – Terrace.
- Garage (Gah-rahzh) – Garage.
- Sous-sol (Soo-sol) – Basement.
- Ascenseur (As-son-sur) – Elevator.
Remember, when diving into the real estate market in a new country, it’s not just the language you’ll want to familiarize yourself with. Each country will have its own legal and procedural nuances.
However, having a solid understanding of these terms will undoubtedly give you a head start and make the process smoother.
Bonne chance in your real estate endeavors in the Francophone world, and until next time, à bientôt! 🏡🇫🇷