List of easy French words: Months of the year
Learning the months of the year in French is essential for communicating about dates, planning events, and discussing holidays and seasons. In this lesson, we will go through the French names for the months of the year and practice their pronunciation.
French Months of the Year:
- Janvier (January)
- Février (February)
- Mars (March)
- Avril (April)
- Mai (May)
- Juin (June)
- Juillet (July)
- Août (August)
- Septembre (September)
- Octobre (October)
- Novembre (November)
- Décembre (December)
- In French, the months of the year are pronounced differently than in English. To get a better sense of the correct pronunciation, it is recommended to listen to audio recordings or videos of French speakers pronouncing them.
- French words often have silent letters, and this is also the case for some of the months of the year. For example, the “r” in “Mars” and the “l” in “Avril” are silent.
- The stress is usually on the last syllable of each month’s name. For example, “Janvier” is pronounced “zhan-vee-ay”.
- Listen to audio recordings or videos of native French speakers pronouncing the months of the year and repeat them out loud.
- Write down the names of the months of the year in French and try to spell them correctly.
- Practice using the months of the year in context, such as in sentences like “Mon anniversaire est en juillet” (My birthday is in July) or “Les vacances d’été sont en août” (Summer vacation is in August).
Learning the months of the year in French is a crucial part of mastering the language, and with practice and repetition, you will soon become comfortable using them in everyday conversations.