Why do French drink coffee out of bowls?
France is known for its love of coffee, but one aspect of French coffee culture that often surprises visitors is the use of bowls instead of cups. While it may seem odd to drink coffee out of a bowl, there are actually some practical and historical reasons why the French prefer this method. In this blog post, we’ll explore why French people drink coffee out of bowls.
- Historical tradition The tradition of drinking coffee out of bowls in France dates back to the 18th century. At the time, coffee was still a luxury item and was often served in porcelain bowls, which were seen as a sign of wealth and sophistication. This tradition has continued to this day, even as coffee has become more accessible.
- Practicality One of the main reasons why French people prefer to drink coffee out of bowls is practicality. A bowl allows for a larger volume of liquid and more space for adding milk or sugar. It also has a wider opening, which makes it easier to dip croissants or other pastries in the coffee.
- Aesthetic appeal In addition to being practical, coffee bowls are also aesthetically pleasing. They are often made of porcelain or earthenware and come in a variety of colors and patterns. They add a touch of elegance to a simple cup of coffee and can make the coffee drinking experience more enjoyable.
- Cultural tradition Drinking coffee out of bowls has become a cultural tradition in France, and it is part of the country’s unique coffee culture. It’s not just about the coffee itself, but also the experience of drinking it in a certain way.
- Ease of use Drinking coffee out of a bowl can be easier and more comfortable than drinking it out of a traditional cup. The wider opening of the bowl allows the coffee to cool down faster, making it easier to drink without burning your mouth.
In conclusion, drinking coffee out of a bowl may seem strange to those unfamiliar with French coffee culture, but it is a practical and historical tradition that has been passed down through the generations. It adds to the overall coffee drinking experience and is an important part of French culture. So, the next time you’re in France, give it a try and see for yourself why French people prefer to drink their coffee out of bowls.