10 Common French phrases: Asking for explanations
Asking for explanations is an important part of communication in any language, and being able to do so in French can be particularly helpful when you’re trying to learn or clarify something. In this blog post, we’ll go over 10 common French phrases for asking for explanations.
- Comment ça marche ? (How does it work?) This phrase is used to ask for an explanation of how something functions or operates.
- Pourriez-vous m’expliquer cela ? (Could you explain that to me?) This phrase is used to ask someone to provide an explanation or clarification.
- Je ne comprends pas. (I don’t understand.) This phrase is used to indicate that you do not understand something and are seeking further explanation.
- Pourriez-vous être plus précis ? (Could you be more specific?) This phrase is used to ask someone to provide additional or more detailed information.
- Pourquoi est-ce que c’est important ? (Why is this important?) This phrase is used to ask for an explanation of the significance or relevance of something.
- Comment est-ce que cela se rapporte à ___ ? (How does this relate to ___ ?) This phrase is used to ask for an explanation of the connection between two things or concepts.
- Qu’est-ce que cela signifie ? (What does this mean?) This phrase is used to ask for an explanation of the meaning of a word or concept.
- Pouvez-vous me montrer comment faire ? (Can you show me how to do it?) This phrase is used to ask someone to physically demonstrate how to perform a task or action.
- Pourquoi est-ce que cela se produit ? (Why does this happen?) This phrase is used to ask for an explanation of the cause or reason for a particular phenomenon or event.
- Pourriez-vous reformuler cela, s’il vous plaît ? (Could you rephrase that, please?) This phrase is used to ask someone to explain something in a different or clearer way.
Learning these common French phrases for asking for explanations will help you to communicate more effectively in a variety of situations. Additionally, it is helpful to learn basic French vocabulary and grammar rules to build your language skills. With practice and persistence, you’ll soon be able to ask for and understand explanations with ease in French.