Common French phrases: talking about movies
Movies are a popular topic of conversation in any language, and being able to talk about movies in French is a useful skill. In this blog post, we’ll go over some common French phrases for talking about movies.
- J’ai vu un bon film récemment. (I recently saw a good movie.) This phrase is used to introduce a conversation about a movie you saw.
- Le film est basé sur un livre. (The movie is based on a book.) This phrase is used to describe the source material of a movie.
- Le film est très captivant. (The movie is very engaging.) This phrase is used to describe the level of interest you had in the movie.
- Les acteurs étaient formidables. (The actors were great.) This phrase is used to praise the acting in a movie.
- Le réalisateur a fait un excellent travail. (The director did an excellent job.) This phrase is used to praise the directing in a movie.
- J’ai adoré les effets spéciaux. (I loved the special effects.) This phrase is used to praise the visual effects in a movie.
- Le scénario était un peu confus. (The plot was a bit confusing.) This phrase is used to express confusion or disappointment about the plot of a movie.
- Le film était très émouvant. (The movie was very emotional.) This phrase is used to describe the emotional impact of a movie.
- La bande-son était excellente. (The soundtrack was excellent.) This phrase is used to praise the music in a movie.
- C’était un film d’action/romantique/comique. (It was an action/romantic/comedy movie.) This phrase is used to describe the genre of a movie.
Learning these common French phrases for talking about movies will help you to communicate more effectively with native French speakers and better express your opinions and emotions about movies. Additionally, it is helpful to learn some basic French vocabulary related to movies, such as different movie genres or cinematic terms. With practice and persistence, you’ll soon be able to speak confidently about movies in French.