18 French sayings about friendship
French culture is known for its appreciation for good food, wine, fashion, and most importantly, friendship. The French have a rich history of proverbs and sayings that embody their perspectives on life, love, and relationships, and their sayings about friendship are no exception. In this blog post, we’ll explore ten of the most famous French sayings about friendship and what they mean.
- “L’amitié n’a pas de prix” – Friendship has no price. This saying emphasizes the importance of friendship and the value of having a good friend in your life. No matter what challenges you may face, a true friend will always be there for you, and that is priceless.
- “L’amitié, c’est une fleur qui ne se fane jamais” – Friendship is a flower that never fades. This saying likens friendship to a beautiful, enduring flower that never fades away, no matter what happens. It suggests that true friendship is a bond that lasts a lifetime.
- “L’amitié c’est comme le vin, plus ça vieillit, plus ça devient bon” – Friendship is like wine, the older it gets, the better it becomes. This saying reflects the idea that, just like wine, friendship only improves with time. The longer you know a person, the more you appreciate their character and the bond that you share.
- “Les amis, c’est comme les étoiles, il y en a beaucoup, mais les bonnes sont rares” – Friends are like stars, there are many, but the good ones are rare. This saying reminds us that not all friends are created equal. While it’s easy to make acquaintances, it’s much harder to find true friends who will stand by you through thick and thin.
- “Il vaut mieux avoir peu d’amis mais de bons amis” – It’s better to have few friends but good friends. Similar to the previous saying, this one suggests that it’s better to have a few close, trustworthy friends than a large group of acquaintances who may not have your best interests at heart.
- “L’amitié, c’est un cadeau précieux” – Friendship is a precious gift. This saying highlights the value of friendship, which can bring joy, support, and comfort to our lives. Just like a gift, friendship should be cherished and appreciated.
- “Entre amis, tout est permis” – Among friends, everything is allowed. This saying suggests that there is a special bond between friends that allows them to be more relaxed and open with each other. Friends can be themselves around each other, without the fear of judgment or criticism.
- “L’amitié c’est comme un abri, il protège du vent et de la pluie” – Friendship is like a shelter, it protects from wind and rain. This saying compares friendship to a warm, safe place where you can take refuge from life’s challenges. A good friend provides comfort and support when you need it most.
- “L’amitié, c’est un pont entre les âmes” – Friendship is a bridge between souls. This saying describes friendship as a connection between two people that allows them to understand and support each other on a deeper level.
- “L’amitié c’est s’accepter mutuellement tels que nous sommes, sans essayer de changer l’autre.” – Friendship is about accepting each other as we are, without trying to change the other person.
- “L’amitié double les joies et divise les peines.” – Friendship doubles joys and halves sorrows.
- “L’amitié ne se mesure pas en années, mais en moments.” – Friendship is not measured in years, but in moments.
- “Les vrais amis sont ceux qui sont là quand on a besoin d’eux.” – True friends are those who are there when you need them.
- “On peut choisir ses amis, pas sa famille.” – You can choose your friends, not your family.
- “L’amitié c’est comme une fleur, il faut la cultiver pour qu’elle grandisse.” – Friendship is like a flower, it needs to be cultivated for it to grow.
- “Les vrais amis sont ceux qui restent même quand ils sont loin.” – True friends are those who remain even when they are far away.
- “L’amitié véritable ne connaît ni frontières ni distances.” – True friendship knows no borders or distances.
- “L’amitié est la plus belle des choses au monde, car elle ne coûte rien et donne beaucoup.” – Friendship is the most beautiful thing in the world, because it costs nothing and gives a lot.
In conclusion, French sayings about friendship highlight the importance of mutual support, trust, and love in friendship. These sayings offer insight into the cultural attitudes towards friendship and serve as a reminder of the value of meaningful connections in our lives.