10 Useful French conversation sentences: talking on the phone
Talking on the phone in a different language can be challenging, but it’s an essential skill to have. In this blog post, we will explore ten useful French conversation sentences to help you communicate effectively over the phone.
- Allô, bonjour. (Hello, good morning/afternoon.)
Use this phrase to greet the person on the other end of the line.
- Comment allez-vous ? (How are you?)
Use this phrase to ask how the person is doing.
- Je voudrais parler à… (I would like to speak to…)
Use this phrase to ask to speak to a particular person.
- Pourriez-vous me passer… (Could you transfer me to…)
Use this phrase to ask to be transferred to a different department or person.
- Je rappellerai plus tard. (I will call back later.)
Use this phrase to let the person know that you will call them back later.
- Pourriez-vous répéter s’il vous plaît ? (Could you repeat that, please?)
Use this phrase to ask the person to repeat themselves.
- Pouvez-vous parler plus lentement s’il vous plaît ? (Could you speak more slowly, please?)
Use this phrase to ask the person to speak more slowly.
- J’ai mal compris. (I didn’t understand.)
Use this phrase to let the person know that you didn’t understand what they said.
- Je vous remercie. (Thank you.)
Use this phrase to express gratitude and appreciation.
- Au revoir. (Goodbye.)
Use this phrase to say goodbye.
In conclusion, these ten useful French conversation sentences for talking on the phone can help you communicate effectively and confidently with others over the phone. Whether you need to greet the person, ask to speak to a particular person, ask for a repeat or a slower speech, or express gratitude and appreciation, these phrases will help you navigate your phone conversations in French. With practice, you will be able to use these phrases effortlessly and communicate effectively in a French-speaking environment.