10 Popular French saying you should know
French is a beautiful and romantic language, and its sayings and expressions are a reflection of the rich culture and history of the country. Whether you’re a language learner or simply interested in discovering more about French culture, these 10 popular French sayings are a great place to start.
- “C’est la vie.” – This means “That’s life” and is used to express acceptance of something that can’t be changed.
- “Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose.” – This means “The more things change, the more they stay the same.” It is often used to express the idea that no matter how much time passes, some things never change.
- “Au revoir.” – This means “Goodbye.” It is a more formal way of saying goodbye compared to “auf Wiedersehen” or “adieu”.
- “Bon appétit.” – This means “Enjoy your meal.” It is often said before eating a meal, especially in a formal setting.
- “Voilà.” – This means “There it is” or “Here it is.” It is often used to express completion or satisfaction.
- “Ça va bien.” – This means “I’m fine.” It is a common greeting in French-speaking countries.
- “Bonne chance.” – This means “Good luck.” It is often used to wish someone success in their endeavors.
- “Merci beaucoup.” – This means “Thank you very much.” It is a more formal and polite way of saying “thank you” in French.
- “S’il vous plaît.” – This means “Please.” It is a polite way of making a request in French.
- “Tout de suite.” – This means “Right away.” It is used to express that something should be done immediately.
Whether you’re traveling to France or simply learning the language for fun, these popular French sayings will give you a glimpse into the culture and help you understand the language better. So give them a try and see how they can enhance your language learning experience!