10 Key phrases in French: Going to the doctor
If you are planning to visit a doctor in a French-speaking country, it is essential to know some basic French phrases to communicate your symptoms and medical history effectively. Here are ten key phrases in French that you may find useful during a doctor’s visit:
- “J’ai mal à la tête.” – I have a headache.
If you are suffering from a headache, this phrase will help you to convey your symptoms to the doctor. Remember to use “j’ai mal à” (I have pain in) to describe your discomfort.
- “J’ai mal au ventre.” – I have a stomach ache.
Stomach aches can be caused by a range of factors such as overeating, food poisoning or digestive problems. Use this phrase to explain your symptoms to the doctor.
- “Je me sens faible.” – I feel weak.
If you are feeling weak or experiencing fatigue, this phrase will help the doctor to understand your condition.
- “J’ai de la fièvre.” – I have a fever.
A fever can be a sign of an infection or an underlying health condition. Use this phrase to let the doctor know that you have a fever.
- “J’ai mal à la gorge.” – I have a sore throat.
A sore throat can be caused by a viral or bacterial infection. Use this phrase to explain your symptoms to the doctor.
- “Je tousse beaucoup.” – I am coughing a lot.
Coughing can be a symptom of various illnesses such as the common cold or pneumonia. Use this phrase to describe your cough to the doctor.
- “J’ai des douleurs musculaires.” – I have muscle pain.
Muscle pain can be caused by various factors such as exercise, injury, or underlying health conditions. Use this phrase to describe your symptoms to the doctor.
- “Je suis allergique à…” – I am allergic to…
If you have any allergies, it is important to inform the doctor about them. Use this phrase to let the doctor know about your allergies.
- “Je prends des médicaments pour…” – I am taking medication for…
If you are taking any medication, it is important to let the doctor know about it. Use this phrase to inform the doctor about your current medication.
- “Est-ce que vous pouvez répéter s’il vous plaît ?” – Can you repeat that, please?
If you are not sure about what the doctor said or did not understand, do not hesitate to ask for clarification. Use this phrase to ask the doctor to repeat what they said.
In conclusion, knowing these ten key phrases in French can help you communicate effectively with a doctor during a medical consultation. Remember to speak clearly and slowly, and do not hesitate to ask for clarification if you do not understand.